PR11 Salary Deposits and Distribution of Payroll Checks
Subject Matter Expert:
Policy Steward:Associate Vice President for Budget and Finance>
- Direct Salary Deposit Participation
- Deposit Request
- Salary Deposits for Employees Paid Monthly
- Salary Deposits for Employees Paid Biweekly
- Employees (Hired Prior to November 1, 1993) Not Using Direct Deposit
- Internal Control
- Further Information
- Cross References
- Revision History
To outline the University's policy concerning deposit of employees' salaries in most financial institutions nationwide and to specify practices to be followed for the distribution of paychecks to employees hired prior to November 1, 1993, when direct deposit is not used.
DIRECT SALARY DEPOSIT PARTICIPATION
Effective November 1, 1993, direct salary deposits shall be mandatory and a condition of hire for anyone beginning employment on or after that date. Participation is optional, but recommended, for all other employees.
Employees hired prior to November 1, 1993 may avail themselves of the University's deposit service by submitting a Salary Deposit Request to the Payroll Department
SALARY DEPOSITS FOR EMPLOYEES PAID MONTHLY:
Employees paid monthly can initiate or change the University's salary deposit service by submitting the Salary Deposit Request form to the Payroll Department on or before the 15th of the month in which the initiation or change is desired.
SALARY DEPOSITS FOR EMPLOYEES PAID BIWEEKLY:
Employees paid biweekly can initiate or change the University's salary deposit service by submitting the Salary Deposit Request to the Payroll Department two weeks prior to the pay date on which the initial salary deposit is to be made.
EMPLOYEES (HIRED PRIOR TO NOVEMBER 1, 1993) NOT USING DIRECT DEPOSIT:
An employee is not granted "free" time off during working hours to go to the bank or any other place of business to cash his or her check. If time off is granted by a supervisor, the time is deducted from vacation accumulation, or is handled as a deduction from salary.
In order to provide adequate internal control, payroll document preparation should be completed, whenever possible, by someone not involved with paycheck distribution in the department.
For questions, additional detail, or to request changes to this policy, please contact the Payroll Office.
Most Recent Changes:
- February 1, 2023 - Editorical changes:
- Changed all references to the the Associate Vice President for Finance to the Associate Vice President for Budget and Finance, per the directive of the Senior Vice President for Finance and Business.
- Changed the SME from the name of an individual to their title, per the directive of the Associate Vice President for Budget and Finance.
Revision History (and effective dates):
- January 5, 2023 - Editorical changes. Changed all references to the Office of Corporate Controller to the Office of Budget and Finance, per the directive of the Associate Vice President for Finance
- September 2, 2022 - Editorial change to change Policy Steward from Associate Vice President for Finance and Corporate Controller to Associate Vice President for Finance
- December 6, 2017 - PR11 is under review due to WorkLion implementation.
- May 29, 2013 - Removal of the following sections, to reflect current operations, as direct salary deposits have been required for employee hires since 1993, making this information non-applicable for the vast majority of employees:
- Check Distribution - Employees Paid Monthly Hired Prior to November 1, 1993
- Check Distribution - Employees Paid Biweekly Hired Prior to November 1, 1993
- Monthly Employees Absent on Payday
- Regular Biweekly Employees Absent on Payday
- Non-Regular Biweekly Employees Absent on Payday
- March 22, 2005 - Editorial changes to eliminate "General Forms Usage Guide" references, and correct links.
- March 6, 2003 - Eliminated the section AUTOMATIC CESSATION OF DEPOSIT; eliminated procedural notes regarding the mailing of paychecks to departmental mailrooms.
- June 18, 1997 - Distribution of paychecks revised. Also adjusted the escheats instructions for checks not picked up after 30 days.
- November 22, 1983 - Employees picking up checks must show verification of identity.
- November 17, 1988 - Employee must request in writing to have paycheck mailed.
- May 10, 1988 - Changed "Commonwealth Campuses" to "locations other than University Park."
- June 12, 1986 - Added section AUTOMATIC CESSATION OF DEPOSIT.
- March 14, 1986 - Included wage payroll in salary deposit program. Added provision for disposition of unclaimed checks.
- February 15, 1984 - Minor editorial changes.
- December 10, 1982 - Excluded wage payroll from salary deposit program.
- September 17, 1982 - Request for authorization to mail paychecks now directed to Financial Officer instead of Deputy Controller.
- July 1, 1981 - Minor editorial changes.
- June 20, 1980 - Request for pickup of wage payrolls checks must be submitted two weeks in advance rather than four days.
- July 14, 1979 - Changed method for Non-Regular employees absent on pay day.
- April 17, 1978 - Standing and fixed-term employees checks are sorted by administrative area. Payroll document preparation and check distribution not to be handled by same individual.
- Date Unknown - New policy.
Date Approved:March 5, 2003>
Date Published:March 5, 2003>