Human Resources Policies
HR103 Employment Conditions for Part-Time Employees
Policy Steward:Vice President for Human Resources>
POLICY'S INITIAL DATE: January 1, 2015
THIS VERSION EFFECTIVE: December 10, 2017
- Conditions of Part-Time Employment
To outline terms and conditions applicable to part-time employees as defined by Policy HR06 Appointments.
Each part-time employee may be eligible for the following benefits and/or those required by federal, state and local laws.
- Workers' Compensation insurance. http://ohr.psu.edu/hr-professional/policies-guidelines/work-related-injuries/workers-compensation/.
- Unemployment Compensation insurance. http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=18&objID=438457&mode=2
- Retirement Plan - subject to the regulations governing membership in a University retirement plan. http://ohr.psu.edu/benefits/retirement/
- Tax-deferred Annuity - Employees may elect to participate in a University tax-deferred annuity plan. Such deduction shall be based on a percentage of salary (up to the legal limits) and shall be taken only if sufficient salary remains to cover taxes, fees, or other required deductions.
- Overtime – Employees may be entitled to overtime as is defined by the Fair Labor Standards Act. http://www.dol.gov/WHD/overtime_pay.htm.
- Family and Medical Leave- In accordance with the Federal Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 (FMLA), qualifying employees may be eligible for a total of 12 work weeks of unpaid leave (26 weeks for military caregiver leave) during any consecutive 12-month period for qualifying reasons. For more information regarding FMLA please see https://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/.
- Healthcare Benefits – In accordance with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, qualifying employees may be eligible for an offering of University sponsored healthcare. For more information please see http://ohr.psu.edu/benefits/health-care-reform/.
- Shift Premium – Part-time employees who are non-exempt may be eligible for a shift premium. Additional information on shift premium rates and eligibility can be found at https://policyedit.libraries.psu.edu/part-time-non-exempt-employee-shift-premium.
NOTE: Part-time employees who obtained healthcare, earned time, and holiday time benefits under former policy HR05 prior to December 31, 2014 may continue to be eligible for those benefits provided they continue to meet the established criteria.
Date Approved:December 10, 2017>
Date Published:December 11, 2017>