Business Services Policies
BS13 Payment of Vendor's Invoices
Policy Steward:Associate Vice President for Auxiliary & Business Services>
- Processing Invoices
- Processing Invoices From Foreign Countries
- Further Information
To describe the payment of invoices received for materials or contracted services purchased from vendors outside the University on a Purchase Order.
For orders originating at University Park, vendors are requested to send invoices directly to Purchasing Services. If a vendor sends an invoice with the material directly to the department concerned, that department must forward the invoice immediately to Purchasing Services.
In order to expedite vendor invoice payments in time to capitalize on all discounts available, the University will process those invoices under $5,000 (except for payments to consultants - see Policy BS17 - and invoices resulting in payment to a foreign country), as follows:
If the invoice amount is less than $5,000 (excluding discounts and freight) and, after notification to the ordering department, Purchasing Services has not received notification otherwise, the invoice will be processed for payment through Accounting Operations in time to take advantage of any discounts available. The invoice will be charged to the ordering department's budget according to data on the Purchase Order. (See Procedure #PC2007 for further details.)
For orders originating at locations other than University Park, vendors are directed to submit their invoices to Purchasing Services for entry in the eBuy+ System. Upon receiving the material ordered, that location will confirm the invoice for payment through the eBuy+ Invoice Confirmation System.
For processing invoices pertaining to Limited Orders, see Policy BS16.
Invoices received which require payment in a foreign currency are to be handled differently. All foreign currency invoices must be confirmed in the eBuy+ Invoice Confirmation System regardless of the dollar amount. Also, a Purchase Order Change must be processed in order the close the Purchase Order in the University accounting system. Please refer to the procedure "Processing Foreign Currency Drafts,"# CR2067, available on GURU.
For questions, additional detail, or to request changes to this policy, please contact the Office of the Associate Vice President, Auxiliary & Business Services.
Effective Date: March 18, 2011
Date Approved: March 16, 2011
Date Published: March 18, 2011 (Editorial changes- October 25, 2013)
Most Recent Changes:
- October 25, 2013 - Editorial changes. Addition of policy steward information, in the event that there are questions or requests for changes to the policy.
Revision History (and effective dates):
- March 18, 2011- Revisions made throughout the policy to reflect the use of the eBuy+ system as the prime method of confirming invoices for payment.
- July 5, 2007 - Editorial change in “Processing Invoices From Foreign Countries ” section. Changed references to "Auxiliary Accounting System and in Central Accounting" to "the University accounting system," per request of Financial Information Systems and Accounting Operations.
- February 8, 2005 - Editorial change to eliminate "General Forms Usage Guide" and to correct links.
- March 6, 1998 - Renumbered and relocated Policy BS13 from PC08.
- January 18, 1995
- Added the exclusion of consultants invoices for "Pay by Exception."
- Changed "Department of Purchasing Services" to "Purchasing Services."
- October 19, 1994 - Added expedited payment process for the invoices under $5,000.
- January 8, 1993 - Revised instructions for processing invoices from foreign countries.
- April 8, 1988 - Changed "Commonwealth Campuses" to "locations other than University Park."
- March 26, 1985 - Added the section "PROCESSING INVOICES FROM FOREIGN COUNTRIES."
- March 2, 1982 - Added differential processing instructions for Commonwealth Campuses versus University Park.
- January 1978 - Created Policy PC11 for processing Limited Order invoices, and added cross reference to that policy.
- May 15, 1975 - New Policy.