Business Services Policies
BS06 Goals of the Department of Purchasing Services
Policy Steward:Associate Vice President for Auxiliary & Business Services>
To state the operational objectives of the Department of PurchasingServices.
The Department of Purchasing Services has the following major goals:
- To assume and discharge the responsibilities and authority established by the University administration governing purchasing policies and procedures.
- To purchase, rent, or otherwise acquire the University's requirements of equipment, supplies, and services.
- To work with academic and administrative officers to establish and enforce procedures involved in the proper procurement of University requirements.
- To perform, but not be limited to, the following variety of services:
- To establish contacts with potential suppliers of all equipment, supplies, and services.
- To obtain information concerning cost, availability, and delivery of equipment, supplies, and services.
- To provide and maintain catalogs, arrange demonstrations, obtain samples, and consult with appropriate personnel concerning their requirements.
- To develop specifications, evaluate the need, and determine the most appropriate purchasing method for the proposed purchase.
- To standardize requirements wherever feasible to provide greater purchasing power and to reduce waste.
- To establish expediting and follow-up procedures to assure prompt delivery of needed materials and services.
- To avoid duplication of equipment by careful review of requests.
- To develop and maintain adequate and reliable sources of supply and to promote and encourage good vendor relations.
- To promote and assure good community and state relationships by buying competitively and fairly all goods and services for the University.
- To provide travel services for official University travel.
For questions, additional detail, or to request changes to this policy, please contact the Office of the Associate Vice President, Auxiliary & Business Services.
Effective Date: March 6, 1998
Date Approved: February 25, 1998
Date Published: March 11, 1998 (Editorial changes- October 25, 2013)
Most Recent Changes:
- October 25, 2013 - Editorial changes. Addition of policy steward information, in the event that there are questions or requests for changes to the policy.
Revision History (and effective dates):
- June 14, 2006 - Revision History added
- March 6, 1998 - Renumbered and relocated Policy BS06 from PC01.
- January 8, 1993 - Referenced Travel Services.
- March 3, 1982 - Retyped change from February, 1978.