AD16 Reporting Requirements for Vehicles Acquired or Disposed of by the University
Subject Matter Expert:
Policy Steward:Vice President for Administration>
- Reporting Information to the Vehicle Management Office in Auxiliary and Business Services
- Further Information
- Cross References
This policy has been developed to ensure that all University vehicles are properly reported to Property Inventory and the Vehicle Management office in Auxiliary and Business Services. For this policy, University vehicles are defined as either owned by, leased to, or on loan to the University.
No vehicles are to be purchased or leased by a University department from an outside vendor if a vehicle adequate for the service needed can be obtained through Fleet Operations. (See Policy BS18, "Procurement or Acquisition of Light-Duty Motor Vehicles (8,500 GVW or less)" formerly "Procurement of Passenger Vehicles.")
The Department of Purchasing Services is responsible for forwarding a copy of all Purchase Orders for vehicles to the Vehicle Management office in Auxiliary and Business Services. This office is located at 110 Housing and Food Services Building and can be reached by phone at 863-2526.
Departments leasing a vehicle, or to whom a vehicle has been loaned, must forward all lease contracts, agreements, or other terms and conditions to the Vehicle Management office in Auxiliary and Business Services.
Departments assuming ownership of vehicles as part of a research contract termination must forward all contracts to the Vehicle Management office in Auxiliary and Business Services.
This policy is applicable to all University vehicles whether licensed and titled or not, and includes vehicles which are not self-propelled. Typical examples are given below. This list is not all-inclusive, and the Office of Risk Management may be consulted when there are questions concerning vehicle types, licensing and insurance.
Fork Lift Trucks
All information regarding vehicles acquired by lease or loan must be reported on a Report of Tangible Assets Acquired by Consignment, Lease or Loan form.
All contracts and agreements prepared by the University involving vehicles must be reviewed by the Office of Risk Management to ensure that adequate personal liability and physical damage insurance is provided.
For information regarding reporting the transfer or disposal of a vehicle or the termination of a lease or loan agreement, please see Policy BS15 - Disposal and Purchase of Obsolete, Surplus or Scrap University-Owned Equipment, Supplies and/or Materials.
Each University department shall review their inventory of vehicles annually from the listing forwarded to them by the Vehicle Management Office in Auxiliary and Business Services. All additions, corrections and deletions should be made to ensure that the listing is as accurate as possible. The revised listing should be returned to the Vehicle Management office in Auxiliary and Business Services within thirty (30) days of receipt.
For questions, additional detail, or to request changes to this policy, please contact the Vehicle Management Office in Auxiliary and Business Services.
BS15 - Disposal and Purchase of Obsolete, Surplus or Scrap University-Owned Equipment, Supplies and/or Materials
Procedure BS2011 -Lion Surplus Operation, Including Sales Store
Most Recent Changes:
- December 16, 2020 - Updated link to Report of Tangible Assets by Consignment, Lease, or Loan - SIMBA form.
Revision History (and effective dates):
- September 21, 2018 - Added Canoes, Kayaks and Sailboats to list of University vehicles.
- March 12, 2015 - Changes to the PURPOSE, RESPONSIBILITY, APPLICABILITY and REPORTING INFORMATION sections to reflect current operations. Addition of policy steward information, in the event that there are questions or requests for changes to the policy.
- February 5, 2008 - Editorial change - correction of addresses for Risk Management.
- February 10, 2005 - Editorial change - removed reference to General Forms Usage Guide.
- October 17, 1994 - Risk Management Office room number change.
- September 22, 1997
- Added reference to Policy PC-13, "Procurement of Passenger Vehicles."
- Added contact information for the Office of Risk Management.
- Deleted requirement for all passenger vehicles to be purchased or leased through Fleet Operations.
- December 23, 1981 - Changed "Office of Risk and Insurance" to "Office of Risk Management"
- January 1, 1977 - New Policy.
Date Approved:September 21, 2018>
Date Published:September 21, 2018>