AD07 Use of University Name, Symbols and/or Graphic Devices
Policy Status:Under Review>
Policy Steward:Vice President for Administration>
To state the policy regarding the use of University names, symbols and graphic devices by any person other than the University. "Person," as used in this policy, includes any person, partnership, corporation or other entity. Names, symbols, and graphics of the University include, but are not limited to,"The Pennsylvania State University," "Penn State," "PSU," the Penn State mark (logo and shield), the athletic symbol, the official seal, the Nittany Lion(name and graphic representation), the Nittany Lion Inn, and the Penn Stater Conference Center Hotel. This policy does not apply to the use of University names, symbols and graphic devices by the University or any of its programs, division or units.
The policy regarding the use of University name, symbols and/or graphic devices is as follows:
- Use of University names, symbols and registered graphic devices by any person other than the University must be approved by the Office of the Senior Vice President for Finance and Business/Treasurer, which has delegated this responsibility to the University Licensing Committee.
- Procedures for review for approval or disapproval of requests for the use of University names, symbols and graphic devices will be established by the University Licensing Committee.
- No department, division, unit or employee of the University shall approve or consent to the use of University names, symbols or graphics by any person other than the University, without prior written authorization by the University Licensing Committee.
- In instances that do not involve manufactured products that will be sold commercially, the University Licensing Committee will refer requests for using University names, symbols and graphic devices to the Office of University Relations for an opinion prior to making a decision.
Most recent changes:
- June 15, 2006 - Revision History added.
Revision History (and effective dates):
- September 12, 1997 - Updated Penn Stater reference.
- September 25, 1998 - Position Titles updated.
- August 19, 1991 - Policy has been revised to incorporate "graphic devices" as part of the policy.
- April 29, 1983 - Major revisions to entire policy per Presidential, Universal Licensing Committee, and Board of Trustees approvals.
Date Approved:September 12, 1997>
Date Published:October 16, 1997>