SY11 Refrigerators - Explosion-Proof
Subject Matter Expert:
Policy Steward:Assistant Vice-President for Police and Public Safety / Director of Environmental Health and Safety>
- Procurement and Installation
- Identification and Marking of Appliances
- Further Information
This regulation prescribes the minimum precautions to be taken within the University's jurisdiction for the prevention of refrigerator explosions and related fires.
Department of Environmental Health & Safety.
All storage of liquids, gases, or solids having a flashpoint of less than 100°F., and required to be stored in a refrigerator/freezer, shall be stored in an approved flammable storage or explosion-proof refrigerator/freezer.
Such storage may be maintained in ice boxes or boxes cooled with dry ice.
Where refrigerated rooms or walk-in boxes are used, they shall be cooled by indirect refrigeration and with electrical equipment that is explosion-proof.
Compliance with the above requirements shall be the responsibility of the individual in charge of each specific installation within the University.
The procurement and installation of explosion-proof/flammable storage refrigerators, aswell as other refrigerators, shall be in accordance with established UniversityPolicies for purchasing and installation.
The maintenance of all refrigerators will be performed by Office of Physical Plant employees, campus maintenance staff, or appropriately qualified professionals, and can be established on a preventive maintenance schedule (at the request of the department or campus), or strictly upon request as required.
All refrigeration appliances in areas subject to storage of flammable liquids, etc. shall conspicuously bear one of the approved labels appropriate for the appliance, and which states; "OK - Explosion Proof;" or "Danger - Not Approved for Flammable Storage."It shall be the responsibility of the personnel in charge of each such refrigeration appliance to see that the appropriate label is affixed thereon at all times.
For questions, additional detail, or to request changes to this policy, please contact the Director of Environmental Health and Safety.
Effective Date: March 24, 2017
Date Approved: March 23, 2017
Date Published: March 24, 2017
Most Recent Changes:
- March 24, 2017 - Edits to REQUIREMENTS section, adding "freezers" as one of the appliances that must meet the storage requirements for liquids, gases, or solids having a flashpoint of less than 100°F.
Revision History (and effective dates):
- June 10, 2014 - Editorial changes. Revisions to REFERENCE, REQUIREMENTS, PROCUREMENT AND INSTALLATION, MAINTENANCE and IDENTIFICATION AND MARKING OF APPLIANCES sections to reflect addition of flammable storage refrigerator verbiage and labeling changes. Added policy steward/ further information references, in the event that there are questions or requests for changes to the policy.
- June 20, 2006 - Revision History added.
- April 15, 1993 - Office address changes.
- May 27, 1987 - Revised REFERENCE, REQUIREMENTS and INSTALLATION sections.