PR04 Technical-Service Employees In Housing and Food Service, Penn State Hospitality Services, and University Health Services
Policy Steward:Corporate Controller / Payroll>
- Pay Period
- Pay Dates
- Initial Pay Period
- Payroll / Salary Changes
- Excessive Time Off
- Definition of Overtime
- Overtime and Holiday Rates
- Shift Premium
- Payment of Overtime, Holiday Time and Shift Differential
- Payroll Deductions
- Direct Deposit of Paychecks
- Internal Controls
- Further Information
- Cross References
NOTE: the following urls are no longer available. Any text that linked to them has been unlinked pending updated website resources:
To state the biweekly payroll policy for technical-service employees in Housing and Food Service, Penn State Hospitality Services (including the Penn State Conference Center Hotel and the Nittany Lion Inn), and University Health Services.
Each pay period consists of two weeks. Eighty (80) hours is considered to be the standard number of hours in a biweekly pay period.
Technical-service employees are paid in accordance with the Schedule of Biweekly Payroll Periods and Pay Dates in GURU. Pay dates generally fall on alternate Fridays except when a Friday is a holiday, in which case the pay date is the preceding work day.
An IBIS Function "NAPP" (New Appointment) is completed for all new regular technical-service employees. See Policy HR14 of the Human Resources Section of the Policy Manual for forms to be filled out by and for each new regular employee.
An Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate (W-4 form), and a Salary Deposit Request must be on file with the Payroll Department before a payroll direct deposit is authorized.
See Policy HR57 of the Human Resources Section of GURU on determining effective date of employment.
The number of hours worked during the initial biweekly pay period is entered on the Biweekly Payroll Card (IBIS function "BIPY"). After the initial payroll period, the Office of Administrative Services will provide, for each payroll period, a revised BIPY with all the fixed information pertaining to the employee except hours worked. This function is available to the employing department to add hours worked. New employees will be paid on the second Friday of the second payroll period in which the employee works.
The approved BIPY must be processed no later than the 2nd working day following the end of the payroll period.
Payroll Changes are made by completing one of the following, as applicable:
IBIS Function "NEWP" (New Pay Information) - to change the pay budget or pay fund for current employees.
IBIS Function "PADJ" (Paycheck Adjustment) - to adjust the paycheck of a current employee due to holiday overtime, holiday compensation, compensatory time, shift differential, time off without pay, meal/lodging deduction, military reduction or retroactive pay.
EASY Form "PAYC" (Payroll Change) - used only to process temporary promotions for all University employees, and for budget distribution changes if multiple budgets are involved.
IBIS Function "LVLO" (Leave/Layoff/RIF actions) - to start and end an employee's leave, change an employee's leave type or status, or to extend an employee's leave.
Salary changes are accomplished by completing the following:
IBIS Function "SADJ" (Salary Adjustment) - to adjust an employee's salary. Salary adjustments are to be effective with the beginning of the first day of the biweekly payroll period in which the increase (or decrease) is to be effective.
The applicable functions and support documents must be processed and received by the Office of Human Resources by noon of the 2nd working day of the payroll period in which the change is to be effective. The change, when applicable, is also reflected on the IBIS function "BIPY" when it is submitted for the payroll period in which the change is to be effective.
If a technical-service employee works less than the standard eighty (80) hours for a biweekly payroll period, the Payroll Department is informed by completing the IBIS Function BIPY and entering the total number of hours for which the employee is to be paid in the space provided. Hours are entered in tenths of hours, e.g., 6.4.
See the booklet titled "Agreement Between The Pennsylvania State University and Teamsters Local Union No. 8."
Overtime is paid at the rate of time and one half (1-1/2) of the hourly rate. If any work is performed on a holiday, see the booklet titled "Agreement Between The Pennsylvania State University and Teamsters Local Union No. 8."
An employee shall be paid a shift premium of sixty ($.60) cents per hour for work beginning between the hours of 1:00 p.m. and 9:59 p.m.;and sixty-five ($.65) cents per hour for shifts beginning between 10:00 p.m. and 4:59 a.m. for all continuous hours worked on the shift. The shift premium shall be added to the base rate before the calculation of an overtime rate.
The payment of shift differential, overtime and holiday time worked by a technical-service employee in the administrative area of Housing and Food Service, Penn State Hospitality Services (including the Penn State Conference Center Hotel and the Nittany Lion Inn), and University Health Services is accomplished by including overtime hours worked when completing the IBIS function "BIPY." See the IBIS Reference Manual. The shift differential, overtime and holiday time earnings will be included in the employee's regular biweekly pay for the payroll period in which the overtime was incurred.
Federal Withholding Tax, State Income Tax, F.I.C.A. Tax, Local Earned Income Tax, Unemployment Compensation Tax, Retirement, Group Hospital and Life Insurances are deducted from each biweekly pay. Voluntary Group Term Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance, Credit Union deduction, deductions for lodging and meals, charities, and annuities are also deducted from each biweekly pay if the employee has authorized these deductions.
Union dues are deducted on the last regular biweekly pay date each month. Union initiation fees are deducted on the first biweekly pay date after the pay date on which the initial Union dues deduction is taken.
All employees in Technical Service positions included in the teamsters bargaining unit are obligated to pay either Union dues or a fair share fee, depending upon work location. Contact Employee Relations Division at 814-865-1412 for further information.
The termination of a technical-service employee is accomplished by completing a TRMN (Termination) in Workflow. This function must be processed in time to meet the cut-off deadline for the employee's last pay period. When an employee leaves University employment, his or her final payment will include the cash value of unused vacation accumulation, provided that the employee has given one week advance notice and has completed one year of continuous regular employment immediately preceding the date of termination. See Policies HR50, HR52, HR53, HR54, HR55, and HR57 in GURU, and the booklet titled "Agreement Between The Pennsylvania State University and Teamsters Local Union No. 8."
Direct deposit of paychecks in most banks and many financial institutions nationwide may be arranged by submitting the Salary Deposit Request. For additional information, refer to Salary Deposit Request instructions and Policy PR11 in GURU.
In order to provide adequate internal control, the payroll document preparation should be completed, whenever possible, by someone not involved with paycheck distribution.
For questions, additional detail, or to request changes to this policy, please contact the Payroll Office.
HR14 - Forms to be filled out by and for each Regular Employee,
HR50 - Use of Accumulated Vacation at Time of Resignation or Retirement, or upon Completion of a Fixed Term 1 Appointment,
HR52 - Resignation from University Employment,
HR53 - Deceased Employee's Final Salary Payment,
HR54 - Continuation of Group Insurance after Age 60, Age 65, and after Retirement or Death,
HR55 - Things to know when leaving University Employment,
HR57 - How to Determine Effective Dates of Employment or Termination for Employees Paid Monthly (Except Academic), and
PR11 - Salary Deposits and Distribution of Payroll Checks.
Effective Date: May 10, 2000
Date Approved: May 1, 2000
Date Published: May 10, 2000 (Editorial changes- September 4, 2014)
Most recent changes:
- September 4, 2014- Editorial changes. SHIFT PREMIUM section has been updated to reflect the increase in shift premium, per union contract changes.
Revision History (and effective dates):
- March 25, 2014- Editorial changes. Revisions throughout the policy to reflect current payroll operations, including:
- Removal of Records to be Maintained, Delivery of Paychecks, For Employees Hired Prior to November 1, 1993 Who Are Absent on Pay Day, and Cashing Paychecks sections. This sections are outdated and no longer followed.
- Addition of policy steward information, in the event that there are questions or requests for changes to the policy
- June 14, 2006 - Revision History expanded.
- July 13, 2005 - Editorial changes to eliminate "General Forms Usage Guide" references, and to add the correct links for the forms referenced in the policy.
- May 10, 2000 - Shift premiums raised from 30 cents to 35 cents, and from 35 cents to 40 cents.
- June 18, 1997 - "Delivery of Paychecks" section updated, clarifying the distribution of paychecks by Business Services. Incorporated "Penn State Hospitality Services" terms.
- December 10, 1993 - "Ritenour Health Center" to University Health Services" (since Health Services are in more locations than just Ritenour); accurized the payroll deductions; clarified the "missed first pay", and specified that the budget administrator is responsible for assuring that pay checks (for those hired before 11-1-93) get to the employee when a department picks up checks from the Bursar.
- September 30, 1992 - Revised references to IBIS/EASY functions; clarified Union Dues withholding and added Unemployment Compensation Tax to the "Payroll Deductions" section. Further clarified the statement under "Deposit of Paychecks." Changed PS (Personnel) policy references to HR (Human resources).
- January 22, 1988 - Office Title Changes.
- May 30, 1984 - Modified "Definition of overtime" deferring to the Booklet entitled "Agreement Between PSU and Teamsters Local Union No.8"
- July 1, 1981 - Revised "Salary Adjustment Increases," "Definition of Overtime," "Termination" and "Internal Controls" sections.
- April 17, 1978 - Revised "Payroll Deductions." Added "Internal Controls" section.