Business Services Policies
BS12 Payment of Freight and Express Invoices
Policy Steward:Associate Vice President for Auxiliary & Business Services>
To describe the payment of charges for both incoming and outgoing shipments which are billed directly by carriers to the University.
At University Park, payment of charges from most carriers for both incoming and outgoing shipments which are payable by the University are approved by the Department of Purchasing Services and charged to the Freight and Express Account (06-033-43) so that payment is not delayed. (Prompt payment is required by the I.C.C.). The Department of Purchasing Services then processes an IDCC in the amount of the freight or express charges to charge the department receiving the materials and credit the Freight and Express Account.
Specific freight carriers under contract to the University bill bi-weekly on a consolidated bill. Individual freight charges are identified by the corresponding eBuy+ Requisition number. Budget and fund numbers are verified by Purchasing Services and the invoice is forwarded to Accounting Operations for payment. Accounting Operations then charges the appropriate budget.
At locations other than University Park, freight charges are paid directly to the freight carriers. Prompt payments are made by using the Special Request for Check (SRFC) through University Park, or the operating cash fund at each campus.
For questions, additional detail, or to request changes to this policy, please contact the Office of the Associate Vice President, Auxiliary & Business Services.
Effective Date: March 18, 2011
Date Approved: March 16, 2011
Date Published: March 18, 2011 (Editorial changes- October 25, 2013)
Most Recent Changes:
- October 25, 2013 - Editorial changes. Addition of policy steward information, in the event that there are questions or requests for changes to the policy.
Revision History (and effective dates):
- March 18, 2011- Revisions made to PAYMENT OF CHARGES section to reflect the use of the eBuy+ system in identifying freight charges to be paid to freight carriers under contract to the University.
- June 14, 2006 - Revision History added.
- March 6, 1998 - Relocated and renumbered Policy BS12 from PC07.
- January 27, 1993 - Updated the distribution of the freight and express charges.
- April 8, 1988 - "Commonwealth Campus" reference changed to "Locations other than University Park."
- February 17, 1978 - Revised Payment of Charges section, Removing Statement "The Department is then billed by IDT for the Applicable charges.:
- May 15, 1975 - New Policy.