AD82 Classroom Scheduling
Subject Matter Expert:
Policy Steward:Senior Vice President and Chief of Staff>
Penn State’s general purpose classrooms (GPCs) are a University resource with a priority mission to provide high quality environments and tools to enhance the educational experiences for students and instructors. When scheduling a general purpose classroom, the first priority is for credit instruction. Effort should be made to ensure that an appropriate match is made between the course’s pedagogical requirements and the features of the room. Other uses such as student activities and events, conferences and events, non-credit courses, are scheduled at a lower priority after all credit courses have been accommodated.
The scheduling process occurs in the following order:
- GENERAL CREDIT
- INSTRUCTIONAL SUPPORT
- NON-CREDIT AND EVENTS
General purpose classrooms are scheduled for credit courses as follows:
- standard sequence courses
- non-standard sequence courses
Courses that follow a standard sequence will be scheduled first in order to maximize student access to courses and minimize time to degree.
While it is recognized that some courses, for pedagogical reasons, do not fit neatly into the standard scheduling periods, extensive use of non-standard scheduling patterns makes it difficult for students to create a viable class schedule which can impede students’ degree progress. It is therefore necessary to minimize the use of non-standard scheduling periods.
GPCs may be scheduled for instructional support activities such as evening exams, orientation and advising, or speakers directly related to a course after all credit courses have been scheduled.
GPCs are available for student activities and special events after all credit courses have been scheduled. All student events and activities that are scheduled must be sponsored by a Recognized Student Organization with an officer report form on file. All Recognized Student Organization events held in GPCs must be scheduled through the online scheduling system.
The University sponsors and supports many activities, conferences, meetings, special events, community outreach and service programs beyond those associated with credit-bearing programs. GPCs are available after credit-bearing programs have been accommodated on a room available basis in the following order:
- weekend events
- evening events
- daytime events (scheduling begins one week after the start of the semester)
- Scheduling General Purpose Classrooms: GPCs will not be available for non-credit-bearing activities until all credit courses are first scheduled. GPCs will not be held in reserve for possible conference use. At University Park, requests for exceptions to this policy should be addressed to Vice President and Dean for Undergraduate Education. At locations other than University Park, requests for exceptions should be addressed to the Vice President for Commonwealth Campuses.
- Scheduling Other Spaces: Availability and use of rooms controlled by academic colleges or administrative units must be negotiated directly with the college or unit assigned the space requested.
For questions, additional detail, or to request changes to this policy, please contact the Office of the University Registrar.
AD62 - Use of General Purpose Classrooms
Most recent changes:
- December 6, 2021 - Editorial changes. Removed "Rollover" and "Priority Scheduling of General Purpose Classrooms (University Park)" sections. Minor other editorial changes.
Revision History (and effective dates):
- December 1, 2015 - Editorial changes. Addition of policy steward information, in the event that there are questions or requests for changes to the policy.
- May 24, 2013 - New Policy.
Date Approved:May 20, 2013>
Date Published:May 24, 2013>