AD57 General Regulations on Use of University Property
Policy Status:Under Review>
Subject Matter Expert:
Policy Steward:Vice President for Administration>
The purpose of this policy is to facilitate the effective use and enjoyment of University property by faculty, staff, students, and visitors; to protect the health and safety of those using University property; to protect University grounds and facilities from damage; and to comply with laws, policies, regulations and ordinances applicable to University.
This policy shall apply to all property owned or controlled by The Pennsylvania State University.
A. PHYSICAL SAFETY AND WELFARE: Any group or individual(s) using University property for a permitted purpose, including official uses, must assure as a condition of use that:
- All University policies and regulations, and all local, state and federal laws concerning fire and safety, security and conduct will be followed.
- There will be no disruption or obstruction of teaching, research, other University activities or other permitted uses of University property.
B. APPROVAL FOR USE: Use of outdoor areas for organized events is subject to approval of the Office of Strategic Communications.
C. STRUCTURES: Prior approval of the Office of Physical Plant is required for the construction or placement of any structure, whether temporary or permanent, on University property; provided however, that a temporary structure utilized for a University-authorized event may be approved by a University administrator responsible for the event. The Office of Student Affairs may approve a temporary structure utilized for an authorized student event.
D. CAMPING: No group or individual(s) may engage in camping on University property, except in areas designated for that purpose by the Office of Physical Plant or the administrative unit of the University responsible for management of the property. Additional regulations on camping may be applicable to those areas where such activity is permitted.
E. DEPOSIT OF TRASH, DEBRIS, OR UNATTENDED OBJECTS: The deposit of trash, debris, or unattended objects is prohibited anywhere on University property, except in receptacles marked for that purpose. Any unattended object that is deposited on University property may be removed and discarded.
- Camping: erection of a tent or shelter of natural or synthetic material; preparing a sleeping bag or other bedding material for use; use of a motor vehicle, motor home, trailer, bus or similar vehicle for overnight occupancy. The listed activities constitute camping when it reasonably appears, in light of all the circumstances, that the participants are in fact using the area as a living accommodation regardless of the intent of the participants or the nature of any other activities in which the participants may be engaging.
- Structure: a human-made object having an ascertainable stationary location on land, whether or not affixed to the land.
- Temporary Structure: a structure in place for seven days or less.
For questions, additional detail, or to request changes to this policy, please contact the Office of the Vice President for Administration.
Most recent changes:
- August 21, 2014 - Editorial changes. In the POLICY / Approval For Use section, reference to the Office of University Relations have been changed to the Office of Strategic Communications. Addition of policy steward information, in the event that there are questions or requests for changes to the policy.
Revision History (and effective dates):
- July 28, 2001
- Added the section APPROVAL FOR USE: Use of outdoor areas for organized events is subject to approval of the Office of University Relations.
- Under the STRUCTURES section, changed "University-sponsored event may be authorized" to "University-authorized event may be approved" ; added the provision that the Office of Student Affairs may approve a temporary structure utilized for an authorized student event.
- March 23, 2001 - New policy.
Date Approved:July 23, 2001>
Date Published:July 27, 2001>