ACG17 Requests for Reduction of Prior Tenure Credit (Formerly HRG17)
Policy Steward:Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs>
GUIDELINE'S INITIAL DATE: December 4, 1984
THIS VERSION EFFECTIVE: March 10, 2017
To permit a reduction in prior tenure credit upon the written request of a faculty member and subject to the concurrence of the appropriate dean.
(NOTE: "Prior tenure credit" is defined as credit awarded to the faculty member at the time of appointment to a tenure track position.)
A request for reduction in prior tenure credit will be considered only once for each faculty member. The request must be made during the first three years of tenure-eligible service at Penn State, or prior to the completion of the fourth year tenure review, inclusive of prior credit of tenure-eligible service, whichever occurs first. In the College of Medicine, the request must be made during the first five years or prior to the sixth-year tenure review.
The appropriate academic dean has the authority to approve a request for a reduction of prior tenure credit as outlined in this guideline. The dean may not rescind more years of service than those requested by the faculty member. However, the dean may rescind less than those originally requested with the concurrence of the faculty member.
- The faculty member petitions the dean, in writing, via the appropriate department head, for a reduction of prior tenure credit.
- The department head discusses the request with the dean of the college.
- If the dean concurs with the request, the dean prepares and sends to the Office of Human Resources instructions for the reduction of prior tenure credit, with a copy to the Executive Vice President and Provost.
- The Office of Human Resources prepares the revised Memorandum of Personal Service in accordance with the instructions from the dean, and specifies on the revised memorandum that it supersedes the previously completed and signed memorandum.
- The Office of Human Resources sends the revised Memorandum of Personal Service to the appropriate dean for concurrence.
- The dean distributes the revised Memorandum of Personal Service to the faculty member with a request that the original be signed and returned to the Office of Human Resources via the office of the dean.
- The Office of Human Resources, upon the receipt of the signed, revised Memorandum of Personal Service, takes steps to revise the faculty member's prior tenure credit as recorded in the master tenure file.
3/10/17 - "Limit for Submitting Requests" section revised to include the College of Medicine. "Procedure to Be Followed" section, part 3 updated to reflect Executive Vice President and Provost title.